Monday, March 30, 2015

Qualms about Leisha Jones Essay

I really wish I would've been able to make it to class today because this reading has left me struggling to find the point Leisha Jones was trying to make. The difficulty I had with the reading was Jones' sentence structure and her references to things only few people would have knowledge of. In regards to sentence structure, Jones tends to use difficult words, obscure phrases, and makes them far longer than necessary. I think she could have made her argument more clear with shorter sentences and/or more accessible words. Also, a lot of what she says is murky. I had the thought while reading that Jones herself is the only person who understands what she is trying to say. A few other readings we've had came across to me this way as well; however, in the case of those readings at least, further analyzation paid off. I left those other articles feeling I learned something valuable, meaningful, and deep, that I would have a lot to say about. Jones' essay on the other hand--aside from the last four pages, which aren't argumentative, but informative--left me with nothing that I didn't already know and certainly nothing I cared about. I had an "O..K..?" moment in other words. And the fact that I had to try to sift through all of her complicated speech just to ultimately come out with nothing of any substance was slightly frustrating. Again, the final four pages were very new to me and Im glad I was able to leave with something. The names and descriptions of different approaches (sensate, brand, polyglot) that some girls are taking in their own interactive, bildungsroman experiences with Twilight were very interesting and something I hadn't known was so extensive. All in all, I feel this reading has value--but not particularly any value for contemporary readers like us, as much as it will have for readers in the future that will in fact be interested in the ways our generation interacted with art.

No comments:

Post a Comment