Monday, April 6, 2015

The Kristen Stewart Hypothesis

For this post I decided to go further into the comment I left on Kayleigh's post. For me, it's difficult to remember the time period before the Twlight films were out, because they were such a big part of the saga's reign over pop culture. Before that, it was easy to ignore, but when the films came out, it seemed that everyone had an opinion. I think that Kristen Stewart is a huge factor in many people's dislike of Twilight. Throughout her career, she has been criticized for her aloof attitude, subpar acting skills, awkwardness, etc. In reality, she's not much different from most teenage girls, but because of her job, she has been and is being compared to other actresses such as Jennifer Lawrence and Shailene Woodley, who better fit the Hollywood mold (do not mistake Lawrence's attempts to be quirky and relatable for anything other than carefully constructed PR). What I am trying to say here is that if someone goes into Twlight with the preconceived notion that it's stupid, sexist, just for fangirls, ect., they're less likely to change their mind if they find the actress on the screen annoying. There's no way to confirm this, as we can't erase everyone's memories and remake Twilight with a more popular actress, but I believe that the discussions surrounding the franchise would be very different if we could.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with this. To be honest, I believe that not only the media but "fangirls" almost completely destroyed Twilight for me. They were such lovely books that people looked past because of a hot guy that would be playing the lead and the movies ended up being disappointing. My friends have even made fun of me before because I enjoy Twilight and I often find myself referring to it as a "guilty pleasure".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your point about Kristen Stewart being like "most teenage girls". I think that she is exactly that, and it's sad that people hate her so much. When I read the books, the thing that I liked most was that the book really made extraordinary things happen to a completely normal person, and I think that that was the best thing about it; reminding people that great things can happen to anyone, not just the beautiful or the special.

    ReplyDelete