Thursday, May 7, 2015

More Outline.

My outline has been evolving, so I wont include all the ideas that I don't like anymore. Here's verbatim what I've looked back on and liked.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One half of my paper will be about Pilar; the other, Maria (possibly)--agreement w/ Stacey Guill...add more about the love aspect though (cite prior readings)

Keys (as not to go into too much summary): brief, but specific context of a particular situation or character

Thesis: blah blah
(Partition sentence: "to prove blah blah I will...1, 2, and 3)

Claim/Topic
Example/Evidence
Analysis
   --or continue paragraph w/ more E.A.E.A.

What is my intervention--no one is talking enough about Pilar (and certain things about Maria).

*Feminist Blogs on Hemingway/FWTBT

Talk about Pilar as a potentially negative female character: essentially pimping Maria for the bridge; possible desire for RJ (pg. 462-464 FWTBT)
Talk about Maria becoming a revolutionary, her influence on RJ, her growth (which had even started before the time that the novel covers), vow to herself to never be raped again- in fact, her fight and struggle while it happened

170-171 of FWTBT

The seemingly docile--<--last sentence of paragraph 2, pg. 14 of "Always Something..." has good explanation"--nature of Maria has so much to be contrasted w/ (see previous page of my outline) ("But will we kill Falangists..."--pg. 17 "AS...")

The touted Pilar can be chosen to expose--in a unique way--Hemingway's need to show either the shortcomings or evils of strong women. (bottom of pg. 12 of "AS"--illustrates Pilar's influence on Maria; top of pg. 14 of "AS" for helpful quote)

Pilar and Maria are not quite foils but comparison of them provides interesting insights. Maria gets interrupted a lot; while Pilar speaks boisterously and drives the conversations.

*Finally a Negative Critic's quote: Edmund Wilson on Maria had to go back to '41--and even then there wasn't much bad to be said of FWTBTs' portrayal of women 

**RJ might actually be a complete asshole (pg. 341-FWTBT, RJ repeatedly disregards Maria's physical pain) [pgs. 25-

Find more Gerry Brenner ("conejo" on pg. 34 of "AS")

Focus more on Pilar and Maria in the intro's summary of FWTBT---> A story of the interactions of the ____ Pilar, the _____ Maria, and the understated RJ with the Spanish War as an inextricably linked backdrop.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Though there's a lot here I like I probably won't go into some things because like you guys said I'd be biting off more than I can chew. I may not focus as much at all on RJ as I thought I wanted to, which is fine cause he's pretty boring. What I hope to do today is find the exact quotes from FWTBT that I need for my argument--which as of now is (very very) basically: Pilar is not admirable; she is bad. Maria is not defenseless; she is strikingly assertive and brave.

A decent amount of readings have backed up the latter; while the former idea is completely my own (though some have unknowingly wandered into that territory). A fear I have is that I may knock these ideas out in maybe 3-4 pages (this is single-spaced right?)...In which case I'm not adverse whatsoever to additionally making the other argument that Pilar indeed is admirable. Pilar, she's so complex. Everything's complex with Hemingway I guess. This should be fun.






























2 comments: