Thursday, May 7, 2015

Outline !!

After I take a decent nap,  Im going throw some more secondary source quotes in here that will allow me to angle my arguments off other(s) (should be very easy). The interesting primary sources you see here are all the possible things I could ever want to use in this essay, but realistically I will probably narrow it down further (as well as paraphrase). Now that I have all my evidence and argument and have a decent idea of how I want to structure the essay, I think the rest should be easy. Everything thus far has been the 70% of the iceberg (so I hope).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pilar is admirable:

“He is very much flaccid. He is very much afraid to die,” (26)
“….you should see his woman…A hundred times braver than Pablo,” (26)
“And do not try to frighten me, coward,” (54)

“Here I command. No one commands but me. Here I command” (60)

Welcomes in RJ and is curious to know his opinions on her comrade “returned her strong hand grip” (31)

“To me the bridge means nothing…I am for the mujer of Pablo” (53) others in agreement
“…watched her blush proudly and soundly and healthily,” (53)

Sent Maria to Robert Jordan (72-73)

“An intelligent woman” (183)

“…believe[s] in the Republic” (100)

“’brags of mak[ing] love in Valencia’” (10 of Guill; 94 & 108 of FWTBT)

initially referred to as “mujer of Pablo” or “wife of Pablo”  is italicized as if to emphasis that indeed, it is a woman making commands—“Go now…”

Pilar is a complete jerk:

Commands people: “Sit down” (32)
Insults Pablo and others: “Drunkard” (32)

“She treats me as a time waster” (Rafael, 28)
 “With this tongue she takes the hide from anyone,” (28)

“But I give you back our rabbit…that’s a good name for her” (156) rabbit=conejo=cono=cunt (probably intentional)

“I am only jealous that you are nineteen. It is not a jealousy which lasts. You will not be nineteen always” (157)

“But the old woman tied a rope to her and…beat her with the end of the rope to make her go,” (28)

“AS…” bottom of pg. 12 on how Pilar coached Maria on how to kill herself w/ blade

Pilar likes Robert Jordan:

Both Pablo and Robert Jordan like Maria. Pilar keeps Maria away from Pablo and encourages her closeness with Robert Jordan…living vicariously

“ran her hand over [Robert Jordan’s] shoulder, feeling the muscle….’I am very content that you have come” (31)

Pilar on Pablo: “she shook her head. ‘He was a very good man,” (32)

“Now if I could take the rabbit from thee and take thee from the rabbit,” (156)

“I could eat a banana now… Go on, Ingles. Keep on talking largely,” (156) 

Maria is revolutionary:

‘teach her to shoot’ (Guill 13, FWTBT 32)
“…are bad people and I would like to kill some of them if I could”
149, 290, 381 of FWTBT
“But will we kill the Falangists? It was they who did it,” (FWTBT 353; “AH…” pg. 17)

“…I hoped they would have shot me too…Viva la Republica y vivan mis padres (FWTBT 350; “AS…” pg. 30)

my own kinda unique little analyzation twist would be that all of her revolutionary changes  were self-made, had nothing to do with Robert Jordan.

Maria is strong:

“Shut thy mouth, Pilar…You speak grossly,” (156)

“Never did I submit to any one. Always I fought…to do me harm” (350)

“That’s the way I comb it…Don’t stare at me,” (22)

I second what was said at the bottom of the first paragraph on pg. 14 of “AS…” and middle of first paragraph on pg. 18

Maria has grown:

“AS…” Pgs. 10-11 on the change in Maria’s clothes (dresses to trousers)

“Where do the noses go?” (FWTBT 71)

“She would not speak and she cried all the time…” (28)

Maria is commanded.

“No, little rabbit.” “Yes. Yes. Everything as you.” (158-159) shows two things: she grew assertively generally and is not “ashamed” (?) anymore.
  
My closer should deal with the victory of Maria over Pilar as far as RJ is concerned, how there is a reversal of whose head is down. Pilar and Maria both physically lose Jordan, but Maria…
Or something along the lines of what I marked on pg. 22 Nolan


Questionable lines: “But sadly, the Maria he knows and loves cannot survive his death, for she was from the first nothing but a projection of his fantasies,” (215 Eby)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If anyone can detect anything blaringly wrong or perhaps missing from either more outline, or more specially my note above this outline, please let me know !! Thanks..





5 comments:

  1. I think you've got great content outlined here. Tons of evidence from the text to argue both sides, especially Pilar. Maybe I should read this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its really good !! Complex and a lot to think about !! Hemingway undoubtedly was a genius for this one !

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh I wish I was this organized. In the beginning I was not too sure how you were going to pull this off, but you are defiantly heading in the right direction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldnt've been able to pull off the outline without your guys' help so thank you !!

      Delete